Post-Operative Care Guidelines
All post‐operative care instructions are to be prescribed by the treating physician. Here are guidelines approved by the Vertiflex® Medical Directors regarding post-operative care when you have undergone a Superion® procedure.
Surgical Site Care:
Most surgical site wounds will have a few stitches or staples that should be kept clean and dry until the first follow‐up visit usually scheduled in 7 to 14 days.
- Avoid scrubbing the surgical site for 72 hours.
- Do not take baths.
- Clean the site with soap and water and change the bandage daily and/or any time the bandage gets wet.
- Report any changes in the wound such as redness, bleeding and/or swelling to your physician.
All patients have different needs therefore it is important to always follow the treating physician’s instructions regarding recommended activity restrictions.
For 6 weeks, limit all lifting, bending and strenuous activity including:
- Lifting any weight over 10‐15 lbs.
- Any large bending of the spine, especially twisting.
- Strenuous activity such as swimming, golf, tennis, racquetball, running, jogging, or sexual activity.
Increase your light activity, such as walking, as tolerated.
Ask your physician regarding further recommended activity restrictions at your first follow‐up visit.